RIP George Swindin

Sir John

Tidligere Arsenal spiller og manager George Swindin er død.

Selv ikke Jørn i Stavanger kan vel hevde å ha sett Swindin i aksjon, men han er likefullt en Arsenallegende og en storhet i klubbens historie.

RIP

Fra Sky Sport

24901[/snapback]

Nei, jeg ikke sett ham spille, men jeg har truffet mannen. :huh:

Rest in peace, George. A true Gooner.

Følgende står skrevet om George Swindin på Wikipedia :

A goalkeeper, Swindin was born in Campsall, Yorkshire, and started his professional career at Bradford City in 1934, before moving to Arsenal in 1936. He had a nervy and erratic start to his career, but by 1938 had become the club's first-choice keeper, and won a Division One title medal that year.

The Second World War interrupted his career somewhat, but Swindin continued to be first-choice keeper for the Gunners after the war; despite his excellent form for Arsenal (only conceding 32 goals in 1947-48), he was never capped by England. Swindin won two more League titles in 1948 and 1953, and an FA Cup in 1952, before being displaced by Jack Kelsey. In all he played 297 times for the Gunners.

Swindin moved to Peterborough United as player-manager in 1954, and helped lay the foundations of the side that won promotion to the Football League in 1960. Swindin returned to Arsenal in 1958 as manager, but despite signing players such as George Eastham and Tommy Docherty, he was unable to bring any silverware to the club. He resigned in May 1962, and then became manager of Norwich City for five months, and then Cardiff City from late 1962 to 1964.

Archived