Arsenal-presentasjon!

thegunners4ever

- Hvordan det hele startet.

- Forskjellige trenere og spillere opp gjennom årene.

- Merittene.

- Enkle fakta, rivaler osv...

- Spillestil

Dette er i hvert fall noe du kanskje burde ha med. Det er mye som burde nevnes når man skal ha foredrag om Arsenal, så dette er kun noen enkle tips. Det finnes utrolig mye bra stoff, bare du konsentrer deg skikkelig går nok det kjempee bra. Lykke til! :)

Viktig å "piffe" opp framføringen litt også, så du ikke står der i 5-10 minutter og snakker bare fakta. Ha på deg en Arsenal drakt, og kanskje ta med skjerfet og syng good old Arsenal. Eller kanskje heller vise en liten video snutt fra youtube eller noe slikt :)

Jeg hadde en 10-minutters foredrag om Arsenal i 1.klasse på VGS. Etter å ha innført Hva Arsenal er og det viktigste av fakta, kom resten av oppgaven som var i tre deler. Den første var om dagens Arsenal i forhold til status, stadion osv. Den andre var en subjektiv analyse av Fabregas som jeg hadde valgt ut fordi jeg mente han var den viktigste spilleren på laget. Den siste delen var om Arsenals forhold til rivalene og forskjellen mellom dem. Økonomi var da en veldig sentral del.

Håper det inspirerte deg litt. Kan nevne at mitt foredrag holdt til en god karakter. :)

Jeg skrev en oppgave i engelsk, VG2 som omhandlet Arsenals spillestil og utviklingen av den siden Wenger overtok. Ble på rundt 2100 ord, og holdt til en sterk femmer. Jeg hadde da med en introduksjon hvor jeg presenterte noen av de sentrale spillerene da Wenger tok over, forsvarsarven fra George Graham, og delte opp resten i tre deler. Wengers første år, The Invincibles og tiden etter forrige ligatittel.

Selv om det ikke var et foredrag så kan det jo inspirere deg noe. :)

Red.: Fant kladden, og legger den ut, det er jo mulig du kan få bruk for noe av det. Kilder hadde jeg ikke ført opp i kladden, men Jan Petter Leidlands artikler i TGP, et par av Clive Davis i samme magazine og en haug internetsider må nevnes.

INTRODUCTION

Arsenal was widely known as a boring team throughout the larger part of the 20th century, and the chant “Boring, Boring Arsenal” was used a lot by opponents’ fans during matches. The scandal that lead to George Grahams resignal as Arsenal manager brought along one good change, the Arsenal board of directors needed to look for a new manager, and to my excitement they did not pick a boring Englishman for the task. They did not pick anyone who thought that the most important part of football is to get 3 points each game, no matter how you accomplish it. Unknown to most of the football fans of England, Arsène Wenger, former manager of Monaco and at the time manager of Japanese club Grampus Eight brought along exciting new waves and a totally new style of play when he was appointed on October 1. 1996. And I have not forgotten the fact that Bruce Rioch was the manager of Arsenal the 1995/1996 season, but I look at him as just a temporary manager.

The 10 years Wenger has been manager of Arsenal is ten successful years counted in numbers of victories and trophies, but for a lover of football, like myself, I find the way Arsenal have accomplished their tasks even more fascinating. Arsenal’s style of play during the years with Wenger in the hotseat can roughly be divided in three periods. The first period went on from 1997 until 1999, the second period went on from from 2001 until 2004, and the last period started in 2006 and lasts on.

In 2006 the football professor stated: “I am in football for one reason, and for one reason only. To play the game I love.” This is probably the reason behind his approach to the game and his teams’ style of play. A genuine love for football and a brilliant football mind has created the style of play that have attracted many neutral fans of football to Arsenal in the recent years. The beautiful game.

WENGER’S FIRST YEARS IN CHARGE OF ARSENAL – 1996-1999

The most common line-up in the period from 1997-1999:

Ian Wright/Nicolas Anelka – Dennis Bergkamp

Marc Overmars – Patrick Vieira – Emmanuel Petit – Ray Parlour

Nigel Winterburn – Tony Adams – Steve Bould/Martin Keown – Lee Dixon

David Seaman

The professors’ first team was a near perfect mix of competent players. The extremely tight-playing defensive four was inherited directly from the former manager of Arsenal, the strictly and defensively oriented George Graham. The back four consisting of the ever-running Lee Dixon at right back, the nutty Nigel Winterburn at left back and the captain Tony Adams alongside either Martin Keown or Steve Bould in central defence in front of one of Arsenal finest goalkeepers, David Seaman kept the clean sheet in many matches, setting the defensive security needed to go on the attack in numbers.

As Wenger was yet an unknown manager to most fans in England, and had a lot of pressure on him to get good results right away, he kept part of the defensive structure from George Graham. He was no big risk-taker, unlike what he is now considered. Both of the central defenders lacked pace, and to cover for them both Vieira and Petit played as anchors on the midfield, rarely going forward to support the attack. Even though they were both positioned quite a bit down on the field they managed to contribute a lot to Arsenal’s offensive play. Vieira with his beautiful technique, often flicked the ball above the opponent, slid past him and collected the ball, before he searched for a target for his pass. Bergkamp, who ended up playing as an extremely offensive playmaker, lying in the room right behind the striker, had a brilliant connection with Vieira and was often the target of the latter’s passes. Petit, on the other hand, searched for the offensive-minded left winger Overmars with his long, lofted passes. One of Wenger’s changes was to let the two attackers and the left winger have a free role, and not worry too much about the defensive workload.

Overmars never played as a traditional winger in Arsenal, Wenger wanted him to use his blinding skill to dribble past the opposing right back and go straight for goal, instead of rounding the right back and settle for a cross into the 16-yard box. After Wright left, there was rarely anyone there anyways. When Overmars brought the ball inside he freed up room on the outside of the right back who often followed him inside, giving room for Winterburn and his accurate crosses. Despite his age, Winterburn was often in attack, and Dixon, also beginning to feel his age, followed his example on the opposite back. Arsenal’s backs were more involved in the offensive play than ever seen before.

The team in this period was probably the most complete Arsenal team ever to be, and if it was not for the age of the players, the team would have achieved even more than the double in the 1997/1998 season. The oldest of the players was gradually replaced, and younger players brought in. A new golden team was being built up.

THE INVINCIBLES – 2001-2005

The most common line-up in the most successful years 2003-2005:

Thierry Henry – Dennis Bergkamp

Robert Pires – Gilberto Silva – Patrick Vieira – Fredrik Ljungberg/Sylvain Wiltord

Ashley Cole – Martin Keown/Kolo Toure – Sol Campbell – Lauren

David Seaman/Jens Lehmann

While Wenger’s first great team was based on the tight-playing defence, it was all-out attack for The Invincibles. Wenger had achieved the success he needed, and was now more willing to let his team develop a unique attacking pattern to a greater degree. Except for Keown the defensive four was now lacking the strength and the ability to really go in 100 % in every duel, and far more goals was let in due to missing marking of opponents on defensive free kicks and corners. What the team may have lacked in defence, was retaliated in attack. The pattern emerging with Overmars cutting inside, leaving space on the outside of the opposing back for Arsenal’s back to run in was now being done on both sides of the pitch. Pires with his sublime skill, cut inside, and Ljungberg or Wiltord went on numerous runs without the ball on the right wing. The Arsenal did not go for the classic approach with to traditional winger rounding the backs and crossing in, and with the attackers they used on the pitch, it was probably for the best of the team. Neither Bergkamp nor Henry won many duels in the air, but both held a excellent technique with the ball on the ground. Petit, a formidable midfield warrior was not replaced by another warrior, and Arsenal did no longer fight the midfield war, but played through the area as fast as they could. Bergkamp specialized his offensive playmaker position, and Pires acted as a second playmaker from his starting point as a left winger. Henry, who played as a left winger in Juventus, still wandered out left in big periods, and the opposing central defenders had quite some trouble to position themselves properly, as they did not have anyone to mark in large periods of a game. Most English football teams still played with two regular strikers at that time, and Wenger’s team without a single player in the 16-yard box from time to time was unique.

The undoubtedly best part of The Invincibles attacking play was the extremely paceful attack if they sensed the smallest unbalance in the opposing defence. Their counter attacks with one or maximum two touches per player were lethal. The ball slid through the midfield before the opponents had time to start the fight. Pires and Ljungberg posed a threat from the wings, and together they scored 140 goals, no poor number for two players playing at the midfield. Lauren and Cole on the backs followed Winterburn’s and Dixon’s examples by going in attack as often as they could, running in the room on the outside of backs who followed the wings when they cut inside.

The last attacking threat of The Invincibles is simply Thierry Henry. His pace and brilliant technique posed a massive challenge for any defence in the world. During his time in Arsenal he accomplished to be the highest scoring player of all time in Arsenal, netting a total of 226 goals. He could singlehandedly dribble off entire defences and settle matches in favour of Arsenal.

The Invicibles went on for 49 games in a row unbeaten in the Premier League, setting a new record, going through nearly one and a half season unbeaten.

THE THIRD WAVE – 2007- UP TO THE PRESENT DAY

The first team last season, building up a new gigantic team:

Emmanuel Adebayor – Robin van Persie

Tomas Rosicky – Mathieu Flamini – Francesc Fabregas – Aliaksandr Hleb

Gaël Clichy – William Gallas – Kolo Toure – Bacary Sagna

Manuel Almunia

The Invincibles is gone, and Wenger have started to build up his third great team. This time, at least the last season, which looked like the start of something golden with Arsenal in the lead of Premier League throughout most of the season, only to lose the championship at the very end. The team does not consist of individual artist in the same manner as The Invincibles, now it is the team’s collective strength that is decisive.

One important factor of the team’s success last season relies on the fact that the ever-running Flamini replaced the Brazilian Gilberto on the defensive midfield. None of them are great tacklers, but in situations where Gilberto preferred to lead the opposing player to a less dangerous zone, Flamini goes in the tackle. If he does not get the ball with the tackle he is at least sure that the opponent felt his presence. A scrambling tackle that leads the opponent to play the ball away faster next time he’s anywhere near Flamini, and then neutralizing the threat. With a more tackling player at the defensive midfield spot, Fabregas was allowed to go further forward to direct the play, meaning that he is closer to goal, and then closer to get a goal himself. Last season he bagged in more goals than ever before on crackers from 18 to nearly 30 yards out. Flamini have now left for the green grass of the Italian Serie A-side AC Milan and Arsenal need to replace him with another player with extreme work capacity, equally aggressive and willing to tackle, and a fairly decent passer of the ball to allow Fabregas to shine in his role 15-20 yards higher up field than before this season.

The whole team is now more compact than before, a necessity of the modern football. The back four is set closer to the midfield, and with two pacey central defenders they rely on placing the opponent’s strikers offside. One aspect Arsenal need to improve, is the pressing of the player with the ball, or else strikers will get through balls over the back four leading to goals.

The team consists of many young players, and if they succeed to replace Flamini in a decent way and develop their collective passing game, the future of the team looks bright. Only Gallas and Almunia have passed 30 and most of the players can play on for many seasons, providing the team with much needed consistency.

Archived