Alan Ball er død

Tusmo

Tidligere arsenalspiller Alan Ball er død, 61 år gammel, melder bbc. Dødsårsaken var hjerteinfarkt. Alan ball var yngstemann på det engelske vinnerlaget under fotball VM i 66, og spilte til sammen 72 landskamper. Alan kom til Arsenal fra Everton i 1971 for 220 000 pund, noe som dengang var overgangsrekord. Han spilte for oss frem til 1976, da han dro til Southampton. For sin innsats på fotballbanen ble han i 2000 tildelt en MBE.

Kilde:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6590715.stm

Nei, men så svarte helsikke! Gamle helter dør alt for unge! :lol: Rest in peace Old Squakie Voice. Nå kan du tackle George Best og resten av gjengen oppe hos St. Peter. Med hvite sko. Og kjefte på med- og motspillere. Og finner du en veddeløpsbane, så får du sikkert slengt inn et bet eller to. Du var en skikkelig tøff, liten jævel, Alan Ball!!! :)

R.I.P Alan. Veldig trist og så altfor tidlig. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Ball_(footballer)

Alan Ball in "501 Arsenal Goals"

R.I.P. Alan Ball !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJI6Yb45yZs

Arsenal

Ball was 26 years of age and at his peak for both form and fitness when he joined Arsenal; he made his debut against Nottingham Forest on December 27, 1971. However, Arsenal could not defend their League title in 1971-72 and also lost their grasp on the FA Cup when Leeds United beat them 1-0 in the centenary final at Wembley.

In 1973, Ball became only the second England player to be sent off in a full international, reacting with fury to violent tactics by Poland in a qualifier for the 1974 World Cup in Warsaw. As a result, he missed the return game at Wembley which became one of the most notorious in English football history - a 1-1 draw in which England were kept out largely thanks to Polish goalkeeper Jan Tomaszewski. England failed to qualify for the World Cup as a result.

Ramsey was sacked and Joe Mercer took over at a caretaker level, for whom Ball never appeared due to injury. However, Ball's relationship with his national side was enhanced and then soured beyond repair when Don Revie was appointed as Ramsey's permanent replacement. Ball was given the captaincy after the dropping of Emlyn Hughes and held it for six consecutive games, none of which England lost, and included a 5-1 defeat of Scotland in May 1975. Then suddenly, Ball was not called up at all,let alone retained as captain, when Revie announced his squad for a game against Switzerland three months later. Ball only found out when his wife took a call from a journalist asking for her reaction.[citation needed] Aged 30, Ball's international career had ended suddenly and acrimoniously after 72 appearances and eight goals.

Ball had continued to play for Arsenal through all this time, as a near-constant member of the first team at first, including 50 appearances in 1972-73. However, Arsenal's Double-winning side was soon broken up and their replacements proved inadequate; Ball remained one of the few quality players in the Arsenal side, and was made club captain in 1974. However with Ball out for part of the season, Arsenal only finished 16th in 1974-75, and then 17th in 1975-76. Bertie Mee resigned as Arsenal manager in the summer of 1976 and it was clear new manager Terry Neill wanted to take the club in a new direction. Now aged 31, Ball continued to play for Arsenal until December 1976, when he was sold to Southampton for a fee of £60,000. In total he made 217 appearances for the Gunners, scoring 52 goals.

sjokkerende og trist! Alan Ball var blant mine favoritter i barndommen. Han skulle jo bringe laget videre i kjølvannet av "The double" i 71, men det klarte han aldri, skjønt det var jo ikke hans ansvar alene. Istedenfor å lede laget til nye triumfer ble hans rolle heller å hindre at klubben rykket ned i de to vanskelige sesongene 74-75 og 75-76. Og i så henseende ga han svært viktige bidrag. RIP

• 2 weeks later...

Archived